From the galley of the Shannon Princess, co-owner and barge chef, Olivia Gibbons shares one of her most popular recipes: a barge-made country butter. Did you know, Olivia makes both cow and goat butters on board? “We also add different flavours. Our homemade butters are served with our galley-made breads, scones and pastries and are also used to add flavours to meats and fish dishes.”
Scroll on for Olivia’s famous barge-made country butter recipe, or click here to read about Olivia’s life as the chef aboard Shannon Princess.
1. Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl, cover with a clean tea towel and leave to rest at room temperature for 24 hours
2. After 24 hours, chill the mixture for a couple of hours in a fridge. Once chilled, place the cream in a food blender and whip it vigorously until it splits
3. Squeeze the buttermilk from the butter, and set it aside if you’re going to make the scones
4. Place the butter on a piece of muslin or cloth for a few minutes to absorb any excess moisture
5. Serve as is, or add whatever flavours you wish to make a herb, garlic or even a fruit butter!