This Italian chocolate cake originates from the Mediterranean Island of Capri, which is just off the coast of the Bay of Naples. Cocoa and almonds make up the main flavours in this Torta Caprese, which is easy to make and just as easily devoured!
Torta Caprese Delicious Italian Chocolate Cake Recipe
- 200g ground almonds
- 140g butter (softened at room temperature)
- 120g icing sugar
- 4 eggs (warmed to room temperature)
- 25g bitter cocoa powder
- 30g caster sugar
- 100g sliced almonds
- Heat the oven to 170 degrees centigrade.
- Separate egg whites from the yolks and beat with caster sugar for 10 minutes. (Keeping the eggs at room temperature will help with the whipping!)
- In another bowl, whisk the butter with icing sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in the egg yolks, cocoa powder and ground almonds, stirring well.
- Fold the beaten egg whites and sugar into the chocolate cake mixture, being careful to keep the majority of air inside.
- Arrange the sliced almonds in the bottom of a buttered tin and pour the cake mixture on top.
- Cook in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven when the top has gently browned, turning the cake upside down on a rack to remove the tin and cool.
Serve warm with a cup of tea for a mid-morning or afternoon snack, or plate up with a dollop of whipped mascarpone to follow an evening meal. Buon appetito.
If you want to experience traditional Italian cuisine and culture in the country itself, why not visit Italy? Find out about an Italy cruise aboard one of our luxury barges.