A great choice for show-stopping canapés or a wonderful homemade gift for your loved ones, these Gruyère de Comté and poppy seed lollipops are sure to be a festive favourite.
Gruyère de Comté and Poppy Seed Lollipops
- 2 large baking trays
- 10 lollipop sticks
- Greaseproof paper
- Cellophane wrap and string or polystyrene block for decoration (optional)
- 80g Gruyère de Comté finely grated (you can use Italian Parmesan or Swiss Gruyère as an alternative)
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
1. Preheat your oven on a high heat, at around 220 °C (425°F)
2. Get two large flat baking trays and line with greaseproof paper
3. Combine the Gruyère de Comté, poppy and sesame seeds together in a bowl
4. If you have a 9cm chef’s ring or cookie cutter, place on the baking paper and add a thin layer of the mixture (approx. 1-2cm thick). Alternatively, you can draw a circle around the base of a circular mug or glass to use as a template. When baking, the mixture spreads so ensure there’s plenty of space between each one!
5. For added magic, place a lollipop stick on top, with the tip in the centre of the cheese disc. If you have any spare Gruyère de Comté – cover the tip of the stick so it’s extra-secure
6. Repeat the process – you should have around 10 lollipops in total
7. Bake for 5 minutes on the middle shelf until golden and bubbling
8. Once baked, slide the discs onto a cooling rack to avoid a soggy bottom!
9. When cooled, place the lollipop in a small cellophane bag and tie with festive string for the perfect homemade present, or for a fabulous centrepiece – why not decorate a polystyrene block and pierce with each lollipop stick!