A new year and a new recipe for you: this time I’ll show you how to cook a perfect, tasty and colourful Italian first course. I’ve chosen some awesome ingredients used in the kitchens of the ancient Italian farmers. We will have an incredible balance between the sweetness of the pumpkin, the saltiness of the crispy bacon and the spiciness of the ricotta salata, smartly enhanced with chilli.
Chef's Recipe - Fusilli with Pumpkin Cream, Guanciale & Ricotta Salata
Ingredients (Serves 4)
320 g fusilli pasta
200 g pumpkin, peeled and cut into small pieces
1/2 finely sliced onion
150 g guanciale cut julienne
80 g ricotta salata – chilli flavoured
2 Sage Leaves
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil (EVO)
- Heat a pan with 1 tbsp of EVO and cook the guanciale until it becomes crispy and slightly brown.
- Remove the guanciale from the pan and store it in a bowl.
- In the same pan add the rest of the EVO, onion and sage and gently fry using the fat of the guanciale.
- Add pumpkin and season with salt & pepper.
- Add a little water and cook vegetables until they become tender.
- Remove from the heat, blend and strain.
- Cook the fusilli in boiling, salted water for 8 minutes (al dente).
- Drain the pasta and add the pumpkin cream.
- Serve the pasta with crispy guanciale on top and some flakes of ricotta salata.
- Sit down and enjoy your meal!