A very Merry Christmas from everyone at European Waterways! Here’s a French Festive Favourite from our very own HR Manager Isabelle, passed down through three generations!
La Buche de Noel aux Marrons
For the cake
1KG/ 2.2lbs chestnuts
180 Grams/ 0.4 lbs unsalted butter
180 Grams/ 0.4 lbs granulated sugar
½ fl oz of Rum or Cognac
For the glaze
125 Grams/ 0.3 lbs good dark chocolate
A knob of unsalted butter
- With a sharp knife make a slit in each of the chestnuts and then boil gently in water for about an hour until soft
- Shell the chestnuts while still hot and then puree until smooth.
- Add the melted butter, sugar and alcohol
- When everything is mixed together and smooth, mold to form a log shape on a long serving dish
- Allow to cool.
- In a pan melt the chocolate with the butter, and a few drops of water to ensure it does not stick.
- Pour over the cake ensuring it is completely covered & decorate with holly and other festive tidbits.