Chef Andrea from La Bella Vita shares his recipe for a moreish crispy squid with crunchy Italian lettuce…
Crispy Venetian Squid with Raddichio di Treviso
This delicious dish, made with fresh and seasonal ingredients, is a perfect second course but you can also serve it as an extravagant aperitif paired with a glass of cold prosecco. The squid is cooked in a typical Venetian style by soaking them in cold milk for few hours and then tossing them into a mix of rice and cornflour. To accompany, radicchio leaves are fried with a crispy and spicy batter seasoned with turmeric. Simply delicious!
4 medium squid (approx. 150g each)
200 ml milk
100g rice flour
2l sunflower oil
600g radicchio di treviso (standard ridicchio is fine)
1 glass of beer
- To prepare, clean the squid by washing them in cold water
- Cut the bodies into bitesize pieces
- Cut the heads into halves, then marinade in milk before refrigerating for at least 2 hours
- Carefully mix the cornflour with the rice flour in a bowl
- Cut the radicchio into 4 wedges vertically, before washing and draining them
- For the batter: mix the wheatflour, riceflour and turmeric powder in a bowl Slowly add the beer until it becomes smooth a smooth paste
- Cover the bowl with cling film and keep it in the fridge. It’s very important to fry the food when it is cold to have a perfect, crispy and delicious finish
- To cook: heat sunflower oil in a deep pan
- Dunk the radicchio wedges into the cold batter, drain the excess and then carefully place in the oil to deep fry
- Cook until it becomes crispy and brown, then place on a plate on top of kitchen paper
- Drain the squids from the milk , then repeat the same process – cooking for 2-3 minutes Serve radicchio with squids and a big pinch of salt on top… buon appetito!
Ready to sample Chef Andrea's cooking?
For your chance to experience Chef Andrea’s mouthwatering menus aboard La Bella Vita, request a brochure or contact our team today!