Patricia Cleveland-Peck discovers the beauty of Scotland's Caledonian Canal
In the Scottish National paper, The Herald, Journalist, Patricia Cleveland-Peck shares her experiences from a week aboard the 12-passenger Spirit of Scotland, cruising the Caledonian Canal in the Scottish Highlands…
This 6-night European Waterways cruise down the Caledonian Canal is proving the perfect antidote and I am quickly rediscovering the pleasure of meeting people and seeing new places.
Highlights of the cruise aboard the Spirit of Scotland included:
- Tour of the Glen Ord whisky distillery with a private tasting
- Majestic Falconry Display on the banks of Loch Ness
- Tour of Cawdor Castle and gardens, home of Shakespeare’s Scottish Play
- Visit Eilean Donan and Urquhart castles
- Wonderful river, canal and loch cruising & excellent opportunities for walking
- Visit Glencoe, scene of treachery between the Campbell and MacDonald clans
There are 29 locks along the canal’s 60-mile length, half of which are multiple ‘staircases.’ Later, at Fort Augustus, a major hub on the canal, we climb though 5 lochs to reach the top, which takes about one and a half hours.
Caledonian Canal Cruises aboard the Spirit of Scotland
Patricia Cleveland-Peck cruised aboard the 12-passenger Spirit of Scotland in August, 2021.
For her full itinerary, click here >
Browse our Scotland barge cruises here >
To read Patricia’s full article in The Herald magazine, click on the ‘Read More’ button below.