Whether it’s the Spring, Summer or Autumn months, we’ll help you find the best time for a barge cruise. From the colourful tulip fields of Holland in April to the atmospheric mist of the Scottish Highlands in October – there’s something beautiful and unique about each and every month. Whenever you choose to cruise, you can be assured of an ever-changing vista and an unforgettable slow-travel adventure that showcases the best of each season…
When is the Best Time for a Barge Cruise?
- The peaceful countryside comes alive with colours: tulips are in bloom in Holland, and the snow-capped Pyrenees are visible from the Canal du Midi
- The market squares return to life as townsfolk set up their stalls for the coming season, and the Easter parades take place
- Often airfares are lower, with value cruise rates available
- Verdant growth and birdsong in full swing along the towpath and throughout the European countryside, it’s a paradise for nature enthusiasts
- Warming temperatures create the perfect conditions for sightseeing and cycling alongside the canals
- Ideal for champagne lovers, cruise through the lush sloping vineyards and sample the bubbly delights of France’s most effervescent region
- Balmy Summer evenings mean digestifs, jazz bands on deck, and a game of boules on the bank
- Sunny weather throughout Europe, and seemingly endless days of sunlight in the Scottish Highlands, June is a wonderful time to explore without the Summer crowds
- Enjoy a refreshing pint of ale at a Thames-side pub; smell the roses and sip an Elderflower Collins’ made with your favourite Gin
- Incredible Bastille Day Fireworks at Carcassonne, the Tour de France, plus Art, Garden & Food Festivals galore in Italy, France and the UK
- Fields of ripening corn fringe the canals as the harvest begins; a wonderful time to collect wild herbs with your on-board chef
- Value rates across most of our cruise regions – could July be the best time for a barge holiday for you?
- Glorious colour in the Scottish Highlands and Opera al fresco at the magnificent Arena di Verona in Italy
- The vineyards are abuzz as the wine harvest begins in the South of France
- School holidays and value fares make this the perfect time for a private whole barge Family Charter Cruise
- The grape pickers are out across France with the wine harvest now in full flow
- Many regions enjoy cultural events such as the countrywide French Cuisine Festival and the Regata Storica in Venice
- Temperate clear days ensure the ideal climate for exploration and photography
- Atmospheric early morning mist over the water, gorgeous Autumnal foliage everywhere and the second burst of Highland Heather in Scotland
- The fruits of Autumn make it high time to indulge in a gastronomic journey, with seasonal delicacies such as truffles, mushrooms, and game to be enjoyed
- Value rates, and your last chance to cruise until next year!
Found the Best Time for a Barge Cruise?
Still struggling to pick the best time for a barge trip for your travel needs? Our dedicated Cruise Specialists are on hand to help you find the perfect time to travel, and cruise to suit you!